Patient Handling Training Courses
To book in online please follow this link to our online booking platform: www.primcare.ie
Upcoming Course Dates
Limerick: 24th of June and 8th of July 2017
An Expert Provider of People and Patient Handling Courses
At Safecon, we pride ourselves on giving the best quality, value & dedication to our clients nationwide.
Safecon is a leading provider of People Handling (or sometimes referred to as Patient Handling) in Ireland.
Safecon deliver both private and public people on patient handling training and instructor courses in Ireland.
We have training centers based in Dublin, Limerick, Cork and Galway at which we carry out regular public courses at monthly intervals.
We are experts in safe people handling & patient lifting practices, healthcare and patient handling regulations, patient handling risk assessments and principles.
The Need for People / Patient Handling Training
To comply with current Health and Safety legislation, SHW at Work (General App) Regulations 2007, Part 2 Workplace and Work Equipment, Chapter 4 “Manual Handling of Loads” and Amendment Regulations 2007. Healthcare staff, Nurses and care assistants engaged in patient handling must be given training in safe lifting techniques. This training will show your staff how to lift patients, particularly elderly or incapacitated people and therefore avoid back injuries. By training your staff how to lift people safely you can avoid costly compensation claims and create a safe environment for the people that are being cared for.
Patient Handling Training Objective & Learning Outcomes
All staff that engage in manual handling or people handling activities during their working day. These employees are exposed to situations where the risks cannot be eliminated or reduced sufficiently. Upon successful completion of this course participants will gain the skills and knowledge necessary to:
- Recognise a load which is too heavy or awkward
- Explain their legal rights and responsibilities
- Understand the limitations of the spine and muscular system
- Conduct a patient handling risk assessment
- Lift and handle patients safely
- Understand correct lifting techniques
The programme will enable learners to deliver Patient Handling. It will ensure competency in the preparation of Patient Handling assessments.
Delivery of this programme may be in-house or is offered on a public basis in venues around the country. The facilitation of the program will consist of a variety of lectures, practical demonstrations and student centered learning.
With a duration of 1 day this programme may provide transfer to other awards.
This programme is open to all learners specifically those who have a responsibility in health & safety within their work environment.
How many will be in the class?
To ensure maximum participation and to enable each student gain the most out of the day, we are adopting the ratio of a maximum of 10 students per course.
What certification will I receive?
Successful students will receive a Patient Handling certificate.
It is our belief at Safecon, that people learn more when they are involved. We therefore will encourage each student to define their specific requirements and then design the course content where possible to address their needs.
What do I need to provide before the course?
You need to fill out the booking form which is available at the bottom of this page.
To comply with relevant provisions of 2005 Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act and 2007 Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Application) Regulations, employer should provide safe equipment and training in its use and employees should be able to recognize risks associated with their day-to-day duties. This particularly applies to your Organization, if you have employees who are involved in manual handling of people.
There are two modules in the Patient Handling Training course:
Module 1 (morning session) – Manual Handling. The following subjects are covered:
- Patient Handling Legislation
- Dangers of unsafe lifting
- Overview of safety legislation
- Anatomy of the spine and muscular system
- Safe lifting points
- Injuries associated with manual handling
- Importance of exercise and nutrition
- Competence testing
- Dangers of careless and unskilled methods
- Principles of levers and laws of motion
- Anatomy of the spine and muscular system
- Potential harm through incorrect patient handling techniques
- Importance of physical fitness
- Personal protective equipment
- Patient handling aids and techniques
- Normal patient movement
- Patient Risk Assessment
- Patient Profiling
- Use of Slings, Turntables, hoists, walking belts, sliding sheets, gliding sheets
Module 2 (afternoon session) – Patient Handling. The following subjects are covered:
- Discussion on client/patient ability to communicate and their physical capability, for example, how much assistance do they need?
- Demonstration in safe moving techniques: bed height, slide sheets, banana board, transfer belts, pushing and pulling wheelchairs, use of hoists (if applicable).
- Lecture on Ergonomics.
- How to carry out a Risk Assessment on the Task, Individual, Load (animate and inanimate), and the Environment.
- Group discussion on course, and question time.
Benefits of completing Patient Handling course:
- Employees will be able to recognize manual handling hazards (both inanimate and animate);
- Prevention of back injury;
- Compliance with current health and safety legislation.
This Patient and People Manual Handling training combines lecture methods with “hands-on” practical work with different types of materials. For more information follow this link to our partners :
TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT MANUAL HANDLING CLICK HERE
Patient Handling Dublin: 9th and 29th Jan and 6th Feb, Cork: 21st and 23rd Jan, 25th and 27th Feb Limerick: 16th and 30th January, 13th February